Sunday, February 13, 2011

Trinidad to Clam Beach Run



One of my goals this year is to run in one race a month. 


Even though I really like to run, I know that I am way more consistent when I'm training for something. The hardest part for me is to just get my shoes on and get out the door. I am always so glad I got out there and ran after I'm finished and a lot of times I feel that way once I've hit my stride. Other times, it's a mental battle the whole time. There's a lot of things like that in my life. I know they're good for me, I enjoy doing them, it's just that initial step that my lazy body or mind fight. That's partly why I made this goal--to keep myself running. The other part is that running races is fun. There's always a ton of people and excitement. 


So, a couple Saturdays ago, I ran in my first race of the year: The 46th Annual Trinidad to Clam Beach Run. 




Beej and I loaded Grace in the car, grabbed some coffee on the way and headed up north to Trinidad. It was a beautiful day. Grace snoozed while we hung out in the car waiting for the race to start at 1pm. We met my friend Naomi and her husband Alan up there. She'd been training to run the 8 3/4 race and I participated in the 3 mile. 




We all drove up to the starting area together. "The first three miles are the hardest. Lot's of hills." That was the bomb Naomi dropped on me about 30 minutes before race time. I had been running flats only, three miles max to prepare. But it wasn't so bad. My main goal was to finish the race without walking and do it in under 30 minutes. I didn't walk and passed the finish line at 28:06. Along the way, I saw old men and little kids pass me. It was great. See that's me when I could finally see the finish line. And see that kid behind me. Yeh, that's right. Beat him up the last little hill. Showed him!




My new goal may be to beat as many kids as possible. We'll see.... 
Seriously though, I had a fun time and look forward to the next one!

3 comments:

Kristin Brown said...

I'm so proud! And I can't wait to see you!

Gigi said...

What a great goal, Kate! I keep looking at races because, like most people, I need motivation, and then I just don't sign up for them. So, I WILL do that tonight. I know there will be kids passing me too! This post is great motivation and a good reminder to set realistic goals, something I struggle with. I forever think I should have the same fitness goals as I did in high school... uh, how many years ago? Keep me accountable, okay?

The Healds said...

Way to go! I'm impressed with a race a month!! you rock :)

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I love hearing from you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...