Tuesday, June 22, 2010

White Chili


Since I mentioned yesterday that I've tried a lot of The Pioneer Woman's recipes, I thought I'd share one that has become an all time favorite around our home. It's her Hearty White Chili. Super Easy. Super Tasty. I've linked to her original recipe...but I'm going to show you the way I make it. Just a couple changes.

I always double the recipe in a large pot and freeze all the extra. I wasn't sure if it would taste as good after being frozen and then reheated, but yep, it's still just as delicious! I usually freeze it in quart size freezer bags, measuring out about 2 1/2 cups per bag. I've frozen it in larger batches, but the 2 1/2 cups seems like a great amount for lunches or dinner.

Everyone I've ever made this recipe for loves it! Except my sister-in-law--I'm not sure about her family...?! I made it for them one time forgetting that they don't like onions...and uh, there's a lot of onion in this baby. Whoops! So I guess I should preface this recipe with: know your ingredients and who you're cooking for ahead of time!

This was also the first dish I picked cilantro out of my garden for! I love getting to grow our own herbs to use. If I'd known it was this easy, I would have started a little garden ages ago.

Anyway, here it is.

To double the recipe:

4 chicken breasts (cooked & torn up--I usually just boil mine--gross!, but fastest!)
2 medium white onions, diced
10-12 garlic cloves, minced
4 7oz cans green chilies, chopped
2 lbs. dried great northern beans, rinsed
3 32oz. cans reduced sodium chicken broth
1 jalapeño, sliced
1-1/2 tablespoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
salt & pepper, to taste
1 cup whole milk (I have also just used 2% and didn't notice any real difference in flavor)
2 tablespoons cornmeal
grated Monterey Jack cheese
cilantro

Here are Ree's cooking instructions with my own adaptations added in:

In a large (8 quart) pot, saute onions and garlic on medium heat for 2 minutes. Pour in all 4 cans of chopped green chilies, then the rinsed beans. Now pour in all 3 cans of chicken broth. Add chopped jalapeño (I de-seed mine, but leave 'em in if you like it real hot!). Add your ground cumin and season with some salt and pepper. Place the lid on the pot and reduce the heat to low.

Cook for 3 1/2 to 4 hours. It literally takes that long for the beans to soften. You'll know it's done when the beans are tender. If you find that it's taking too long to cook, you can always increase your cooking temp to medium low. This may also be a great one for the crock pot, I just haven't tried it that way yet.

Once that's going, I boil my chicken and let it cool enough to tear up into bite size chunks. Add the chicken about halfway through the cooking process, so in this case when you hit the 2 to 2 1/2 hour mark.

When the beans are tender, mix milk with cornmeal and stir into pot. Cook for another 10 minutes to let it all thicken. Add the cayenne pepper and paprika. Stir in a bit of Monterey Jack cheese (or you can just save that to top it off, or do as I do, add it in and sprinkle a little more in your bowl after serving!).

You could garnish this with anything, but I really like it with just cheese and cilantro.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I love hearing from you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...