Wednesday, July 6, 2011

The Nursery: Curtains




Grace's curtains are just one more DIY project I really enjoyed working on. I am naturally more drawn to neutrals, and I love white, so it was a fun stretch to incorporate a lot more color into her room. One way I did that was to make her curtains myself. 


I have always liked the style of Pottery Barn's Ribbon-Tie Curtains. And one perk of this curtain style is that it required less fabric than full length panels would have. Each panel is 36 inches wide and 63 inches long.


Does anyone else out there love Amy Butler's fabric designs? I picked out this fabric for Grace's room months before I had her and then ordered it long after she was born and we'd moved into our new place. I just loved that there was grey and green with just a hint of pink. Call me old lady, but I do love floral prints, at least the more modern, large designs.


The pink ties were kind of a happy accident. When I measured to order the fabric, I only thought about the front ties, not realizing until after I'd cut everything out that I would need to sew four fabric strips for each window panel. Measure twice, cut once is a lesson learned!! But I do like how they turned out and the pink is just an added bonus, some cheap fabric I'd had on hand.


The rod was a $2 find from Ross that I spray painted.

And I really have to give credit to my mom, because this is just one of a couple projects she helped me with as I put Grace's room together. I'd been having a lot of trouble with my sewing machine just before making these and I was fearful of ruining the fabric somehow. I did not want to have to spend more, so it was Mom to the rescue. She loaned me her old one, and stayed for a couple hours to make sure I didn't have any other problems getting things going. I am still such a beginning sewer! And her sewing advice over the phone to me is like my computer advice over the phone to her--it's just so much easier to explain and show someone things in person!

2 comments:

Hulst mommy said...

Oh I LOVE Amy Butler!!!!! The room is absolutely gorgeous Kate. I am so inspired by all of your DIY projects and fun, cheap finds.

The Fredricksons: Brian, Britney, Salty, and Benji said...

spray paint customizes so much, for so cheap. I love getting frames from the dollar store and painting them. People never know I only paid a buck for them :)

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I love hearing from you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...